Monday, December 24, 2007

My First Christmas in Sydney - Alone


It's the night of Christmas Eve.


Every year at this time, I am at home with my family in Singapore. Dad will put up our Christmas tree two weeks before Christmas. This year, I don't think he does. I am the spirit of the family and the reason for the decoration. I let them down this year because I have selfishily flown to Sydney two weeks ago to start a relationship with my Aussie boyfriend (with their blessing). Mum called to wish me Merry Christmas but I didn't ask about the Christmas tree.

Do I feel homesick? Yes but not too strongly. Sydney is my second home now. However, I do feel a bit sad this holiday season. My boyfriend is not with me tonight and many nights to come. He has flown to Perth to be with his family. I learn that such tradition is the western thing. My U.S. and Candanian friends are all going home for Christmas. That's probably why the song 'I'll be Home for Christmas" is written. After Christmas with family, he will be away on a business trip. All in all, I am left alone in a big house for two long weeks. I am going to miss my boyfriend very much.

I have a friend in Sydney but she will be spending Christmas with her family from Indonesia. Luckily, I am blessed with great friends around the world who chat with me on MSN. Because of the time difference, when one friend log outs, the chat is continued by another who logs in. When everyone logs out, I return to my writing like now (Sydney time, 11:56pm) with my iTune radio playing a Christmas song I never heard of in Singapore - I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas by Gayla Peevey

Well, I am not exactly being left in a lurch by my boyfriend. He is too sweet for negligence. He bought me some thoughtful gifts. Among which are two latest novels by best-selling Australian authors, "The Persimmon Tree" by Bryce Courtenay and "Anthony and Cleopatra" by Colleen McCullough. But he didn't want me to be cooped up at home all days reading while he is away. He suprised me with gift cards so that I could go shopping when I am bored. His thoughtfullness and generousity made me shed tears of joy.

So far I am suriving happily since his 3 days absence. Although there are books to read and shopping to induge in during the Boxing Day and New Year sale, nothing replaces having my boyfriend next to me now. I will be waiting patiently at home in Sydney for his return. Meanwhile, it's time for bed on a silent and holy night.


No comments: