Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Ginger farm - a reflection of working with older people








There is no such thing as a ginger farm. And if you have read my earlier post 'Old gingers. No thanks!", you would know that the gingers here refer to people. For the first time in my life I am working in a company where the ratio of old workers against young workers is strikingly big. I thought I was working part-time for an old folks home. I call my work place a ginger farm.

I see these gingers (not all) behaving like piranhas. I was told to be careful of these people. From the way they described one another, I can't help but to conjure an image of the Dementors from the Harry Potter's series. On the surface, they joked but when a customer in suit and briefcase walked in, the piranhas sprung into action and the fittest caught the prey. I am aghasted at how ruthless these aunties in displaying their 'bua-yahism"* in order to hit their sales target. They hung on to their baits as hard as they tried to hang on to their jobs because losing their means of survival at their age can turn them from piranhas to guppies in the dirty drains. Being a part-timer, I watch the piranhas outside of the aquarium. Not all the piranhas are verocious; some attack one another but most do not. The characteristics of each ginger are so notably distinctive that they can identify themselves should I describe them individually.


It is an eye-opening experience to be working among the gingers. I remember clearly that all new staff were reminded to support one another at work during the orientation I attended. Apparently, some gingers have placed their personal value over company's. At the orientation, I was among the 3 new staff who would be working together at the same store. From time to time, we shared with one another how we felt about this ginger and that ginger. Often, the names of 3 gingers were mentioned. I thought of lambasting them online but gave that idea up. Why waste my brain cells writing about people whom I find disapproving? Moreover, next week will be my last week at the store; I will be moving on to greener pasture. They will soon be like my uniforms that I will leave behind.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*bua-yahism - an invented work. Bua-yah in Malay means 'crocodile.' Used as a reference here to describe the gingers as predators.

No comments: