Saturday, March 17, 2007

Inferiority Complex, countries have it too.

Singapore will soon be known as an island of beaches and not skyscrapers if our sand issue with Indonesia continues to receive wide coverage in The Straits Times. Don't take my words literally; it is just a metaphor to best describe the deep fried news of Indonesia's abrupt ban on sand export to Singapore.


I don't play any sort of politics. This blog is not meant to comment on the political agendas behind the sand issue but to reflect on the emotional well-being of a nation and its people. Whether it is an issue with Indonesia, Malaysia or Thailand, these
developing countries are in need of cure for their inferiority complex.

"Shu Da Zhao Feng" the Chinese idiom which means prominence invites attention. Singapore is the "Da (Big) Shu (Tree)" which draws envy from developing countries as the rich kid on the block. 2007 marks the 42nd year of Singapore independence from Malaysia. We are now one of the most affluent country in the world. Our internationally renowned 'Kiasuism' is the driving force that keeps the country and its citizens on the forefront of local and global competitions. The little funky red dot is fun to tourists and safe to investors. Our effectiveness and efficiency in building the nation have become the centre of criticisim as an arrogant lion city.

12 years ago, I was perceived to be weak and incapable among colleagues before I proved them wrong that my small frame and geekiness had nothing to do with my work performance. When my capabilities were endorsed by the CEO, they changed their impression of me to arrogant. I did not bother and continued to shine in my work. Singapore was just like me then - small on the map but big success in the real world.


"There was a time when people said that Singapore won't make it, but we did
."

The first verse of the lyrics from the National Day's song echoes the sentiment of our government during Singapore's founding days.
Singapore is a peace loving and diplomatic country. We do more than we talk and that's why our progress is remarkable. I'm sure that before we become who we are today, we must be envious of other developed countries at one point or another. Instead of engaging in empty talks and day dreamings, we learn from the developed countries and move ourselves up the ladder to become one. Mind games and tricks do not build a country; excuses do not eliminate poverty and corruption among its citizens. Any claim made against a country must be genuine and supported by transparency. Any country that creates smokes without fire to stifle the growth of other countries, especially those around them, is tarnishing its image to the world. Countries that are still catching up with developed countries should channel their time in political wayangs to rethink on a faster way to run the race. Their government should be upright in character, embrace the spirit of the 300 Spartan warriors, and adopt the Nike tagline "Just Do it!".

Today I am no longer skinny but muscular. My body didn't change by looking at other muscular men. I started with a positive mindset that I could build my body to look like theirs. Next, I developed a strong determination to execute my goal. Then, I excercised strict discipline to follow through my workout schedules. Lastly, I remained patient to see my growth. Oh, I kept junk foods at bay too. After 4 years, I gained 12 kg of mass.

Singapore has promising psychologists but they can't counsel countries that are insecure about themselves.




No comments: