Friday, March 02, 2007

LIttle Bits & Pieces of Crazy Thoughts on American Idols Season 6



My eyes were teary when A J Tabaldo was voted off the American Idols Season 6 competition on 1 March 2007. He bears a strong resemblance to my Filipino-American friend especially when he smiles. Don't worry, I'm not going to splatter my adoration for this young man in this blog (not now, maybe later.)

If you have watched the show earlier tonight, you would see that I wasn't the only one with teary eyes when A J performed the last time on stage. Big guy, Sundance Head, was just as emotional as me. If you followed the competitions closely, you will understand why. Although he proved his true singing quality this week, he was not resting on his laurels. From the look upon his face, I knew he was not even 70% sure that he would pass through to the next round. Naturally, when he did but Nick Pedro and A J Tabaldo didn't, he cried twice. He couldn't withhold his tears from falling when A J sang his last song. Even the consistently good, Melinda Dolittle cried. I can tell as far as this two contestants are concerned, their tears were real.

In any competition with only one person going home with the big prize, elimination is the common rule of the game. The remaining contestants must be glad that they weren't the one leaving the show last night. Simon Cowell was sceptical when contestant, Stephanie Edwards put friendship on the pedestal over winning. I, however, choose to differ. If every contestant in any competition is putting trophy ahead of everything else, disappointment and resentment will consume them when they fail their purpose. Joining a competition is an effort to fulfil a dream, an opportunity to meet new friends and an experience to learn from. All these are good enough to have when the trophy is lost. How great can an American Idol be if he or she has a beautiful voice but without a beautiful mind?

When Americans voted A J Tabaldo out last night, Sundane and Melinda felt like that they have lost a little brother. As for me, I'm going to miss a friend on TV.



No comments: