Tuesday, April 17, 2007


April 15 was my birthday.

Just as I was contemplating a postmortem thoughts of my birthday on April 16, 33 innocent lives were lost in a mass shooting at the Virginia Tech's campus. When I read the news on Yahoo! this evening, I decided not to blog about my birthday thoughts but to devote the time for a better cause.

I am not writing to express hatre for the South Korean gunman nor to stir up racial prejudice. Neither am I writing a lengthy commentary on U.S. gun laws nor the gunman's state of mind.

I firmly believe that any atrocious man-made acts or natural catastrophes, the loss of innocent lives, regardless if they are Americans, Indonesians or other nationalities, is the loss of innocent lives of our fellow brothers and sisters on Mother Earth. Therefore, in view of the Virginia Tech's shooting, I urge all countries that legalise private ownership of guns to examine such laws thoroughly and conscientiously.

Banning gun ownership from the individuals is not a 100% foolproof solution because a policeman/soldier can go berserk when we least expect. However, such measure will help to control access to dangerous weapons and reduce the death count caused by deranged gunmen.

At the present moment, please join my humble effort in reshaping the U.S. guns culture by commenting on this issue. If the comments grow beyond 500, it will be brought to the attention of the U.S. Embassy in Singapore for its onwards transmission to the Congress.

Thank you.
Bananation




No comments: