Friday, July 06, 2007

Testing mobile ring tones in the train. What's wrong with people?



It has been quite some time since I blogged about noise in the train. 4 months ago, I complained about chipmunks singing in the train - a mobile ring tone of a techno-dance song sung in a chipmunkese voice. The irritable part was the owner of the mobile phone answered the call only when the song reached its chorus. Wadefart (Pardon me for inventing this word. The original is too crude for a professional blogger to pen).

This morning, I encountered another idiot of the same breed in the train. I was on my way to the gym and was enjoying my book 'The Complete Notes from Singapore' when one ring tone was heard after another consecutively. I knew what it was all about because when I had a new mobile phone, I would test all the choices of ring tones available. That was exactly what happened. I was not the only one who turned to to my right to identify the source. Everyone wants a peaceful ride to work and for Pete's sake, stop creating noises. He looked probably in his late 30s and not at all irritating. But his act was. He was testing all the ring tones in his mobile phone throughout the ride. I was sure he was the one because he was looking down at his mobile phone.

The authority should not overlook noise level in the train. Although commuters who talk endlessly on their mobile phones during the train ride are irritating too, it is still reasonable because mobile phones are meant for talking. However, blasting music from a mobile phone and testing all its ring tones are inconsiderate. Commuters who play games on the train with the sound on are equally detestable.

Whether it is a mobile phone or a game console, I believe a plug for a earphone is available. So ydefart not use it? If Singapore follows New York and implements noise control in the city, that would mean dog owners have to teach their pets to obey the rule too. That would probably generate more noise.

No comments: