Friday, July 13, 2007

Encouragement from my hairdresser



I had a haircut today to prepare myself for a new job. Did I say a new job? Yes. If you have read my past blog entries, you would know how I became jobless. Anyway, I will be working permanent part time for an international organisation next Monday. I will start a Briget Jones's Diary alike (but no romance; it's strictly about my new job). Until then, let me bring you back to the hair salon at Orchard Road.

To give you a little background, my hairdresser is my ex-hairdresser's hairdresser (the use of repetitive words here is deliberate). My ex-hairdresser changed salons so often that one day, I told him that I couldn't follow him to Jurong, the extreme end from where I stay. I asked him to recommend a good hairdresser and the rest were history. I have been with my current hairdresser for more than a year. Although she is as mobile as my ex-hairdresser, she always moves around the salons in Orchard Road.

My appointment with her for the hair cut was 1 p.m. Naturally, when she saw me she asked if I was on leave. I told her before that I had quit my job months ago but I don't expect her to remember something which doesn't concern her at all. Afterall, I am not her only customer. I refreshed her memory and told her about my new job and hence the haircut.

She remembered what my previous job was and was amazed at the drastic change. To avoid repeating my case (which I suggest that you read 'My Pursuit of Happiness'), my decision was unsupported by most friends. Suprisingly, a 40-year old married woman with kids and a hairdresser whom I only meet once every 2 months could see where I was coming from. Adjectives like 'crazy', 'impractical' (most commonly heard), 'idealistic' and 'brave' were tagged to my decisions but none could truly understand what I did except her. I knew she was not saying nice things to please my ears just because I am her customer. This was not the first time she cut my hair - I know her way of thoughts.

When will I bump into another person who shares the same ideology of life as me? Probably, I should just plug to my iPod and listen to 'One in a Million' by the one hit singer, Bosson.

I just answered myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)