Friday, February 02, 2007

Beauty Parlour Storke Syndrome. Heard of it?

I was lying comfortably on an Osim massage chair alike while a young shampoo girl washed and massaged my hair. I closed my eyes and relaxed as stream of warm water flowed over my head. The massaging, lathering and conditioning took about 5 minutes but I wished it was longer. A strange thought crept into my mind: what if I died on that chair? I don't know if that's possible. I checked it up on the Internet and found a case in UK in 2004.

It is called the Beauty Parlour Stroke Syndrome. Mr Malcom Crabb, 49, suspected that his wife, Pamela, 51, suffered a stroke and died after hair washing at the salon. Mrs Crabb did not die instantly at the salon but a week after her second stroke. Stroke Association (UK) is unable to confirm the direct link between hair washing at salon and stroke although they affirmed that similar case of a 42-year old woman who developed a stroke after a 5 minutes hair-wash, was reported and published in the medical journal The Lancet in 1997.

When a person's neck is pushed back into a sink, the neck is overextended. When it is stretched and kink for a long time, the arteries get stretched and are risked to tearing. Bleeding between layers of tissues can cause blood clots to built up, leading to death.

Doctors advise that salons should place a cushion so as not to over-extend the neck. Maybe
high tech, ergonomic shampoo bowls and chairs are the answers to a safer hair-washing experience. This means a more expensive hair-wash. Will you pay extra for health reason even if the chances of you getting a stroke from hair-wash at the salon is very slim? I, certainly, will not.

>>>Have you ever felt sick or experienced some discomfort after a hair wash at the salon?


No comments: