Thursday, February 01, 2007

It's RAIN-ing , Man. ABS-olutely NOT

Chaotic downpour hit Las Vegas and most parts of Asia. In Singapore, damage to the indoor stadium costs SGD888 (USD570) per square foot.

What, or rather, who caused the disaster? - Jung Ji Hoon, the Korean superstar, better known as the ubiquitous 'RAIN'. SGD888 is the price paid to watch him performing live at the Singapore Indoor Staduim on 21 January 2007. It breaks the record as the highest priced concert ticket in Singapore. It is also the most expensive ticket among his other concert stops at Las Vegas, Malalysia, Seoul, Hongkong an Bangkok.

Idolism is as blind as falling in love. I was an Aaron Kwok aficionado during the early 90's. My budget only allowed me the bus fare and a roll of flim for my camera (which I borrowed from my brother.) I was still a tertiary student then. I have no complaint against those who have bought the SGD188, SGD288, SGD388 or SGD488. The SGD888 tickets were given to RAIN's management and concert sponsors. I understand how crazy fans can be and there is no limit in lending their monetary support. But there's one thing which I don't understand - the exaltation of his physique.

I only know the song "Sad Tango" when I watched his music video at HMV. The singing was good and his dancing was groovy. He is quick to grab your attention by his performance. With a towering height of 1.85m and a toned, muscular frame, the dashing 24-year old RAIN has charmed girls around the world. However, singing and dancing are not the spearheads towards his superstardom; It is his acting career that sensationalises his body and causes the Asian downpour.

The cover on the 8Days magazine issue no. 848 is a topless RAIN. An arrow pointing at his supposedly amazing abs with the caption 'Skip rope 2,000 times a day to get this!". A photo speaks a thousand words but unfortunately, I can't prove my point here. Surely, he has abdominal muscles but not defined 6 or 8 packs. Come on, the average athletic men and most lean guys have his type of abs and they don't even 'skip rope 2,000 times a time'.

Media loves to exaggerate to accentuate a superstar's overall package. To all fans at large, lose your dollars, but don't lose your senses to judge.






More Reading
Is Rain Worth it?


No comments: